Facebook Ads or Instagram Influencers?
You’ve got your store ready to go and now comes the fork in the road… should you start marketing with Facebook ads or Instagram influencers? This is a highly debated topic you’ll see in most dropshipping groups or communities and it’s an important question because they both have their respective costs! After using them in different niches I’ve outlined the benefits and cons of each to try and help you decide what's right for your business.
- Can start with a small investment and daily ad spend to see if your campaign is working
- Widen or narrow your audience size
- Includes more metrics and information from customer engagement
- Ads can include numerous images or videos
- Learning curve as you figure out how to use Facebook Business Manager and build ads and audiences
- Might need to run numerous ad sets to see what is working and what is not
- Need to wait a few days for the algorithm to show it's affect
- Deciding what countries to target and tracking what converts best takes time
- One time process
- Easier to control target audience size
- Shows most of it's affect in first 12 hours
- Can negotiate pricing
- You need to be cautious of bots and programs used for unengaged followers
- Have to find the right influencer for your audience with good engagement
- Certain level of trust as you have to transfer them the payment via Paypal
- Be prepared to negotiate pricing
Although each have their strengths I found it was helpful to use both at times. With hashtags on Instagram it's easier to find an influencer who might be good fit for your store. Make note to look through their likes and comments to see if their followers are real and engage with their content. You can negotiate a price with them for an ad in their stories for 12 hours (paying for 24 hours is not always necessary as posts get the most engagement in the first few hours).
Instagram influencers is an easier learning curve to get started! This will bring an initial boost of traffic to the store and depending on the audience size you’ll be getting sales and abandoned checkouts which mean valuable customer emails.
Once you reach 100 customer emails from Instagram influencer posts it might be worth looking into Facebook ads. Using 100 emails you can create a lookalike audience on Facebook and start targeting your ads to potential customers who match those in your customer list. This will be easier to work with on Facebook and you can feel more confident using your initial list of customers.
These are some of my experiences however I would love to hear yours. Good and bad they are all important learning lessons.